hadoop-user mailing list archives

From Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Query about Speculative Execution
Date Thu, 06 Dec 2012 15:31:36 GMT
Given that Speculative Execution *is* the answer to such scenarios,
I'd say the answer to your question without it, is *nothing*.

If a task does not report status for over 10 minutes (default), it is
killed and retried. If it does report status changes (such as
counters, task status, etc.) but is slow due to environmental or other
reasons, then the JobTracker, without speculative execution logic
turned on, will assume it is normal.

On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 8:27 PM, Ajay Srivastava
<Ajay.Srivastava@guavus.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What is the behavior of jobTracker if speculative execution is off and a task on data
node is running extremely slow?
> Will the jobTracker simply wait till the slow running task finishes or it will try to
heal the situation? Assuming that heartbeat from the node running slow task are regular.

--
Harsh J