hadoop-user mailing list archives

From Michael Segel <michael_se...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: What should I do with a 48-node cluster
Date Thu, 20 Dec 2012 15:38:44 GMT
While Ted ignores that the world is going to end before X-Mas, he does hit the crux of the
matter head on.

If you don't have a place to put it, the cost of setting it up would kill you, not to mention
that you can get newer hardware which is better suited for less.

Having said that... if you live in the frozen tundra like Montana, or some place like ...
er Canada or Siberia... , it may make more sense to use it to heat your home with it.
Just think of the side benefits from all that potential additional compute power....  :-P

On Dec 20, 2012, at 9:13 AM, Ted Dunning <tdunning@maprtech.com> wrote:

> Depending on the node characteristics, these might actually not be all that much use.
 Blades are usually designed assuming external storage like a SAN.  That means that they usually
don't have much disk which makes them only OK for Hadoop work.

> Also, what about the installation cost?  Do you have enough power and cooling to host
these boxes?  The cost of ops could easily exceed the cost of the nodes in a short period
of time.  Hardware is a deflationary asset as evidenced by the willingness of people to nearly
give away old hardware.  Unfortunately, in many cases, the market price often really is a
fair estimate of what it would take to get the same capacity in newer hardware.

> This hardware might be substantially under the market price.  That would be neat.  On
the other hand, it sounds like this same throughput might be had with three 2U units with
12 drives and a single socket each.  The price on that is probably around $20K.  Is that a
better or worse deal than you are getting?

> On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 7:17 PM, Mark Kerzner <mark.kerzner@shmsoft.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Someone wants to give me (OK, sell, but for the cheap) a 48-node cluster of decent blades,
a few years old. Should I even thy to think of what to do with them, given that one can use
dedicated servers and Amazon's EC2?