hadoop-user mailing list archives

From Marcin Mejran <marcin.mej...@hooklogic.com>
Subject RE: Alerting
Date Sun, 23 Dec 2012 16:08:55 GMT
Yeah, oozie sounds like the best approach. I think "timeout" in Oozie refers to something different
(stopping a coordinator if it hasn't started within X minutes) but the SLA mechanism should
do what's asked for.

-Marcin

From: Ted Dunning [mailto:tdunning@maprtech.com]
Sent: Saturday, December 22, 2012 5:12 PM
To: common-user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: Alerting

Also, I think that Oozie allows for timeouts in job submission.  That might answer your need.

On Sat, Dec 22, 2012 at 2:08 PM, Ted Dunning <tdunning@maprtech.com<mailto:tdunning@maprtech.com>>
wrote:
You can write a script to parse the Hadoop job list and send an alert.

The trick of putting a retry into your workflow system is a nice one.  If your program won't
allow multiple copies to run at the same time, then if you re-invoke the program every, say,
hour, then 5 retries implies that the previous invocation has been running for 5 hours.

On Sat, Dec 22, 2012 at 12:49 PM, Mohit Anchlia <mohitanchlia@gmail.com<mailto:mohitanchlia@gmail.com>>