hadoop-user mailing list archives

From Mapred Learn <mapred.le...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What should I do with a 48-node cluster
Date Thu, 20 Dec 2012 03:32:06 GMT
What about investing this cluster in a startup if u hv some awesomeideas :)
Who knows how much you might gain over next few years :)

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 19, 2012, at 7:29 PM, Mark Kerzner <mark.kerzner@shmsoft.com> wrote:

> Sure, I love hardware, but aren't the hosting costs prohibitively high?
>
> Mark
>
> On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 9:23 PM, Mohammad Tariq <dontariq@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello sir,
>>
>>      If you think the deal fits in your budget, better go for it. It's just a 1 time
investment and provides you more control on your cluster than AWS. You can get your hands
dirty with some config & admin stuff as well, in case you haven't touched that part yet.
But, go for it iff you are totally confident about the machines and the person you are dealing
with.

>> Best Regards,
>> Tariq
>> +91-9741563634
>>

>> On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 8:47 AM, Mark Kerzner <mark.kerzner@shmsoft.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Someone wants to give me (OK, sell, but for the cheap) a 48-node cluster of decent
blades, a few years old. Should I even thy to think of what to do with them, given that one
can use dedicated servers and Amazon's EC2?