Andy, I noticed you are splitting up your /etc/init.d startup -- we're new-ish to Hadoop and found that the supplied init.d script doesn't necessarily stop services properly, so I end up doing it manually.   If you could share your info that would be great... I can see where they can be time-delayed in the startup with chkconfig (RHEL).

Thanks.