hadoop-user mailing list archives

From Bertrand Dechoux <decho...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: combiner/reducer context in java class
Date Tue, 06 Nov 2012 11:42:15 GMT
I agree that the behaviour shouldn't be dynamically changed at runtime with
regard to the class being use as a Combiner or a Reducer but someone may
want to produce counters in order to have an overview of what is happening
(sanity check). But you really would like to be able to not aggregate the
same counters between the Combiner and the Reducer. How would someone do
that? ie you can introduce a combine/reduce keyword in the counters name
but how would you detect which instantiation is used in which case? I guess
somehow with the task name it might be possible.. Is there a better way?

BUT if you look at the jobtracker counters summary there is a distinction
between map and reduce values. Maybe it is enough in this case? (I have
never used counters inside a combiner so I don't know.)

Regards

Bertrand

--
Bertrand Dechoux