hadoop-user mailing list archives

From "Kartashov, Andy" <Andy.Kartas...@mpac.ca>
Subject RE: Map output compression in Hadoop 1.0.3
Date Thu, 29 Nov 2012 16:09:10 GMT
Tony,

Can you please share with us on the permorfmance improvement (if any) after using compression
in map.output? I was abpout to start looking into it myself.   What compression codec did
you use?

Rgds,
AK

-----Original Message-----
From: Tony Burton [mailto:TBurton@SportingIndex.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 6:38 AM
To: <user@hadoop.apache.org>
Subject: RE: Map output compression in Hadoop 1.0.3

Also, another point that prompted my initial question: I'd come across "mapred.compress.map.output"
in the documentation, but I wasn't 100% sure if there has been or will be any equivalence
or correspondence between config setting like this one and the naming of the stable and new
API.

For example, we've got o.a.h.mapreduce.Job rather than o.a.h.mapred.JobConf as previously
mentioned, from the "mapred" and "mapreduce" parts of the API.

Are config settings that begin with mapred.* related to the stable API with the implication
that there's an mapreduce.* equivalent (eg mapred.compress.map.output vs mapreduce.compress.map.output),
or am I seeing a connection that doesn't exist?

(Hope that makes sense!)