hadoop-user mailing list archives

From Kai Voigt...@123.org>
Subject Re: a question on NameNode
Date Mon, 19 Nov 2012 14:31:01 GMT
Hi,

Am 19.11.2012 um 15:27 schrieb "Kartashov, Andy" <Andy.Kartashov@mpac.ca>:

> I am learning that NN doesn’t persistently store block locations. Only file names and
heir permissions as well as file blocks. It is said that locations come from DataNodes when
NN starts.

> So, how does it work?
>
> Say we only have one file A.txt in our HDFS that is split into 4 blocks 1,2,3,4 (no replication),
with block 1-2 residing on DN1 and blocks 3,4 on DN2.

> When we start NN it reads it metastore and tries to locate and map the locations of 4
blocks of file A.txt??

when a NameNode starts, it does that in safe mode. Like you said, it doesn't know where the
blocks are. The DataNodes send a list of all of their local block IDs (so called block reports).
Once the NameNode knows about the locations of most blocks (99,9%, configurable number), it
will leave safe mode and HDFS is back.

Kai

--
Kai Voigt