hadoop-user mailing list archives

From "ac@hsk.hk" ...@hsk.hk>
Subject Re: Ubuntu 12.04 - Which JDK?
Date Thu, 08 Nov 2012 10:12:11 GMT
Hi, thank you for your info and will head for it. Thanks.
On 8 Nov 2012, at 6:07 PM, Mohammad Tariq wrote:

> Hi there,
>
>     As per my understanding, all the code has been built and tested against java6(sun).
There are some changes between java7 and 6 and you may face issues while running your code,
like using sort with collections. I faced the same thing when using List.sort in my code.
So, it's better to go with sun's java6. If you want to install it you can follow these steps
:

> 1. Download the zipped file and extract it.
>
> 2. chmod +x jdk-6u37-linux-x64.bin
>
> 3. ./jdk-6u37-linux-x64.bin
>
> 4. sudo mv jdk1.6.0_37/ /usr/lib/jvm/
>
> 5. sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/javac javac /usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.6.0_37/bin/javac
1

> 6. sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/java java /usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.6.0_37/bin/java
1

> 7. sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/javaws javaws /usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.6.0_37/bin/javaws
1

> Then choose which java to use :
>
> sudo update-alternatives --config java
>
> choose the no for java6
>
> Regards,
>     Mohammad Tariq
>

> On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 2:29 PM, ac@hsk.hk <ac@hsk.hk> wrote:
> Thanks Harsh,
>
> This is exactly what I am facing, I have used Ubuntu for long time, 12.04 is the Long
Term Support version (LTS),  however Oracle JDK/JRE6  is no longer supported in it,  "OpenJDK
has sometimes a odd behavior - Alexander Lorenz'".  Any Ubuntu 12.04 users here to share your
selections/options?