hadoop-user mailing list archives

From Patai Sangbutsarakum <Patai.Sangbutsara...@turn.com>
Subject Re: Spindle per Cores
Date Fri, 12 Oct 2012 19:15:29 GMT
Thanks Ted,

Sorry I was too rush to type. I was asking should I pick number 8 (not count the Hyperthread)
or number 16 (count the Hyperthreads) in order to adjust spindle and cores ratios

From: Ted Dunning <tdunning@maprtech.com<mailto:tdunning@maprtech.com>>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 12:11:56 -0700
To: <user@hadoop.apache.org<mailto:user@hadoop.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: Spindle per Cores

It depends on your distribution.  Some distributions are more efficient at driving spindles
than others.

Ratios as high as 2 spindles per core are sometimes quite reasonable.

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 10:46 AM, Patai Sangbutsarakum <silvianhadoop@gmail.com<mailto:silvianhadoop@gmail.com>>
I have read around about the hardware recommendation for hadoop cluster.
One of them is recommend 1:1 ratio between spindle per core.

Intel CPU come with Hyperthread which will double the number cores on
one physical CPU. eg. 8 cores with Hyperthread it because 16 which is
where we start to calculate about number of task slots per node.

Once it come to spindle, i strongly believe I should pick 8 cores and
picks 8 disks in order to get 1:1 ratio.

Please suggest

View raw message