hadoop-user mailing list archives

From Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Old vs New API
Date Wed, 24 Oct 2012 14:33:42 GMT
Using either is fully supported in 2.x+ at least. Neither is
deprecated, but I'd personally recommend using the new API going
forward. There's no known major issues with it.

FWIW, Apache HBase uses the new API for its MR-side utilities.

But in any case - no worries if you stick with one over the other for
whatever reason, not until a couple more major releases I should think.

On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 5:16 PM, Michael Segel
<michael_segel@hotmail.com> wrote:
> They were official, back around 2009, hence the first API was deprecated.
>
> The reason that they removed the deprecation was that the 'new' API didn't have all of
the features/methods of the old APIs.

> I learned using the new APIs and ToolRunner is your friend.
> So I would suggest using the new APIs.
>
> But that's just me.
>

> On Oct 24, 2012, at 5:02 AM, Alberto Cordioli <cordioli.alberto@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks Bejoy,
>>
>> my only concern is that the new api were to become "official" quite
>> some time ago, but this seems to be a long process.
>> And honestly I don't understand why. The changes are not so invasive.
>> I just want to be sure to learn the more suitable api for the future.
>>
>> Anyway, as you said, let's see if a committer can comment on this.
>>

>> Alberto
>>
>> On 22 October 2012 15:40, Bejoy KS <bejoy.hadoop@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi alberto
>>>
>>> The new mapreduce API is coming to shape now. The majority of the classes available
in old API has been ported to new API as well.

>>> The Old mapred API was marked depreciated in an earlier version of hadoop (0.20.x)
but later it was un-depreciated as all the functionality in old API was not available in new
mapreduce API at that point.

>>> Now mapreduce API is pretty good and you can go ahead with that for development.
 AFAIK mapreduce API is the future.

--
Harsh J