hadoop-user mailing list archives

From Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Differences between YARN and Hadoop
Date Wed, 24 Oct 2012 04:32:01 GMT
Hi Andy,

Am moving your question to the cdh-user lists (cdh-user@cloudera.org,
or https://groups.google.com/a/cloudera.org/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/cdh-user)
since it is CDH specific.

To answer your question, YARN is functional for MR2 and other
applications you wish to run on it, however it still has some
unpolished edges necessary to run it reliably well on production (such
as MR1 is). It should be ready for prime time very soon.

Since CDH4's MR API is fully compatible between the two, jobs you
compile on the CDH4 MR1 platform today will run on YARN+MR2 clusters
without needing a recompile later.

On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 8:02 PM, Kartashov, Andy <Andy.Kartashov@mpac.ca> wrote:
>  Thanks Harsh,
>
> I have been playing with MapReduce v2 (YARN) in pseudo-dist mode and are trying to deploy
it now on a cluster. This is what I came across on CD4 website:

> Is this an up-to-date note? Shall I switch to MapReducev1 (MRv1) instead?
>
> QTE
> Note: Cloudera does not consider the current upstream MRv2 release stable yet, and it
could potentially change in non-backwards-compatible ways. Cloudera recommends that you use
MRv1 unless you have particular reasons for using MRv2, which should not be considered production-ready.
> UNQTE

mixing up the terms. See this small post for a clear difference: