hadoop-user mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <tdunn...@maprtech.com>
Subject Re: Cumulative value using mapreduce
Date Thu, 04 Oct 2012 17:52:09 GMT
Bertrand is almost right.

The only difference is that the original poster asked about cumulative sum.

This can be done in reducer exactly as Bertrand described except for two
points that make it different from word count:

a) you can't use a combiner

b) the output of the program is as large as the input so it will have
different performance characteristics than aggregation programs like
wordcount.

Bertrand's key recommendation to go read a book is the most important
advice.