hadoop-user mailing list archives

From Michael Segel <michael_se...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: What is the difference between Rack-local map tasks and Data-local map tasks?
Date Sun, 07 Oct 2012 14:45:12 GMT
Rack local means that while the data isn't local to the node running the task, it is still
on the same rack.
(Its meaningless unless you've set up rack awareness because all of the machines are on the
default rack. )

Data local means that the task is running local to the machine that contains the actual data.

HTH

-Mike