hadoop-user mailing list archives

From Michael Segel <michael_se...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Distributed Cache For 100MB+ Data Structure
Date Sat, 13 Oct 2012 17:53:32 GMT
Build and store the tree in some sort of globally accessible space?

Like HBase, or HDFS?

On Oct 13, 2012, at 9:46 AM, Kyle Moses <kmoses@cs.duke.edu> wrote:

> Chris,
> Thanks for the suggestion on serializing the radix tree and your thoughts on the memory
issue.  I'm planning to test a few different solutions and will post another reply if the
results prove interesting.

> Kyle
>
> On 10/11/2012 1:52 PM, Chris Nauroth wrote:
>> Hello Kyle,
>>
>> Regarding the setup time of the radix tree, is it possible to precompute the radix
tree before job submission time, then create a serialized representation (perhaps just Java
object serialization), and send the serialized form through distributed cache?  Then, each
reducer would just need to deserialize during setup() instead of recomputing the full radix
tree for every reducer task.  That might save time.

>> Regarding the memory consumption, when I've run into a situation like this, I've
generally solved it by caching the data in a separate process and using some kind of IPC from
the reducers to access it.  memcache is one example, though that's probably not an ideal fit
for this data structure.  I'm aware of no equivalent solution directly in Hadoop and would
be curious to hear from others on the topic.

>> Thanks,
>> --Chris
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 10:12 AM, Kyle Moses <kmoses@cs.duke.edu> wrote:
>> Problem Background:
>> I have a Hadoop MapReduce program that uses a IPv6 radix tree to provide auxiliary
input during the reduce phase of the second job in it's workflow, but doesn't need the data
at any other point.
>> It seems pretty straight forward to use the distributed cache to build this data
structure inside each reducer in the setup() method.
>> This solution is functional, but ends up using a large amount of memory if I have
3 or more reducers running on the same node and the setup time of the radix tree is non-trivial.
>> Additionally, the IPv6 version of the structure is quite a bit larger in memory.
>>
>> Question:
>> Is there a "good" way to share this data structure across all reducers on the same
node within the Hadoop framework?

>> Initial Thoughts:
>> It seems like this might be possible by altering the Task JVM Reuse parameters, but
from what I have read this would also affect map tasks and I'm concerned about drawbacks/side-effects.