hadoop-user mailing list archives

From "Kartashov, Andy" <Andy.Kartas...@mpac.ca>
Subject RE: Issue when clicking on BrowseFileSystem
Date Mon, 15 Oct 2012 20:00:14 GMT
Andy,

Thanks. Glad I asked.

I run Hadoop in pseudo-distrib on amazon instance in the cloud. Shall I change "localhost"
in both core-site and mapred-site to my< my-host-name>?

p.s. I can see Namenode status through Web-based interface using url: http://<my-host-name>:50070
 however cannot access JobTracker (MapReduce master) using : http://<my-host-name>:50030
:(

Andy Kartashov

-----Original Message-----
From: Andy Isaacson [mailto:adi@cloudera.com]
Sent: Monday, October 15, 2012 3:52 PM
To: user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: Issue when clicking on BrowseFileSystem

Oh, you've *configured* "localhost" as your hostname in the hadoop *.xml files. Yes, that'll
result in the behavior you're seeing.

I was assuming you were using a hostname that other machines can resolve. For example running
on my laptop I use "adit420" (which is what the laptop calls itself). When running on VMs
using
kvm+virt-manager, I configure my hostnames to the hostnames of the
VMs, for example vm01.local, vm02.local, et cetera.  (The .local pseudo-domain is managed
by avahi.)

You mustn't delete the localhost line from /etc/hosts as that might cause a lot of other stuff
to fail, possibly including sshd, xorg, Gnome, etc.

-andy

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 12:24 PM, Kartashov, Andy <Andy.Kartashov@mpac.ca> wrote:
> Andy,
>
> My /etc/hosts does say: 127.0.0.1              localhost.localdomain localhost
> Shall I delete this entry?
>
> The only reference to localhost is in:
>
> Core-site:
>   <property>
>     <name>fs.default.name</name>
>     <value>hdfs://localhost:8020</value>
>   </property>
>
> Mapred-site
>   <property>
>     <name>mapred.job.tracker</name>
>     <value>localhost:8021</value>
>   </property>
>
> Andy Kartashov
> MPAC
> Architecture R&D, Co-op
> 1340 Pickering Parkway, Pickering, L1V 0C4
> 1 Phone : (905) 837 6269
> 6 Mobile: (416) 722 1787
> andy.kartashov@mpac.ca

localhost -- the http://<datanode> portion of the URL is showing the DN address as localhost,
and the nnaddr=localhost is showing the NN address as localhost.

> I'd check your /etc/hosts for your hostname and look at the hdfs-site.xml for any occurrences
of localhost.

> -andy
>

>> Andy Kartashov
>> MPAC
>> Architecture R&D, Co-op
>> 1340 Pickering Parkway, Pickering, L1V 0C4
>> 1 Phone : (905) 837 6269
>> 6 Mobile: (416) 722 1787
>> andy.kartashov@mpac.ca

changed it to my IP address the page duly loaded. Which .xml file is responsible for this
setting?

>> It depends on which URL, you left out that part of the answer. :) When you click
the link on dfsHealth.jsp, does the error page have nn_browsedfscontent.jsp in the URL bar,
or does it have browseDirectory.jsp in the URL bar?

>> The NN address can be specified with dfs.namenode.http-address and the DN with dfs.datanode.http.address
but you shouldn't need to configure those by hand, the code is supposed to be smart enough
to figure it out automatically. It works in my Hadoop 2.0.x configurations here, so I'd like
to track down what is different about your configuration in case we need to fix the code to
DTRT for that kind of configuration.

>> The first thing I would check is to make sure your server name is not
>> listed as 127.0.1.1 in /etc/hosts on the server. Since this (arguably
>> broken) configuration is the default for some distros, it would be nice if Hadoop
could handle it automatically, but in my experience things work much better when I delete
that line from /etc/hosts.

>> -andy
>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Andy

the filesystem" URL gets its IP address from the DN registration message. Is the URL that
throws dns_unresolved_hostname the nn_browsedfscontent.jsp URL, or the browseDirectory.jsp
that it redirects to?

>>> What's your dfs.namenode.rpc-address and http-address settings? Are there any
odd entries in /etc/hosts like having your hostname listed on a 127.0.0.1 line?  Is this on
a single-node cluster or a multi-node cluster?

>>> If none of the above seems diagnostic, what does the
>>> "NameSystem.registerDatanode: node registration from DatanodeRegistration(192.168.122.87"
log messages in your namenode log look like?

>>> -andy

on a consistent networking environment setup.

NameNode Logs link however when I click on Browse the filesystem link I get the following: