hadoop-user mailing list archives

From "Pamecha, Abhishek" <apame...@x.com>
Subject Re: HDFS using SAN
Date Thu, 18 Oct 2012 15:18:10 GMT
Yes, I have been reaching the same conclusions here. Tom would you care to spell out the 'obvious'
io considerations? I would like to see if there are more that  are different than mine.

My  3 observations have been that
1. for full tables scan MR jobs, SAN approach is transporting entire dataset over the n/w
to data nodes. Not good.
2. The shuffle s actually includes more n/w transfers when it could have been just intra-SAN
transfer. Disadvantage.
3. SAN controller caches ( an additional stop in data transfer as opposed to das) may not
be utilized as effectively because they are shared by multiple data nodes. ( frequent eviction)

So overall my conclusion is MR is not the best suited data processing method when data is
stored in a SAN.

Btw, I thought SAN would do block level transfer and file system on top is your choice. I
was surprised to see GPFS 'as' the SAN. Could you please clarify?

Any way you can share your cluster size?

Thanks
Abhishek

i Sent from my iPad with iMstakes

On Oct 18, 2012, at 7:41, "Tom Deutsch" <tdeutsch@us.ibm.com<mailto:tdeutsch@us.ibm.com>>