hadoop-user mailing list archives

From "Artem Ervits" <are9...@nyp.org>
Subject Re: Hadoop on Isilon problem
Date Thu, 18 Oct 2012 02:27:07 GMT
With Isilon, there is no need for hdfs-site configuration file. Isilon takes care of replication,
although you can certainly add hadoop replication. The biggest plus is the scalability for
storage layer. We keep a lot of our data in Isilon and importing into hdfs will result in
two locations of massive amounts of data. With this solution, we can read and write in one
location. Performance wise, I cannot answer yet, so far our standard cluster runs jobs 3x
faster than Isilon but we have many factors why it is so and results are inconclusive.

Artem Ervits
Data Analyst
New York Presbyterian Hospital

From: Rita [mailto:rmorgan466@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2012 08:23 PM
To: user@hadoop.apache.org <user@hadoop.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Hadoop on Isilon problem

out of curiosity, what does running HDFS give you when running thru an Isilon cluster?

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 3:59 PM, Mohit Anchlia <mohitanchlia@gmail.com<mailto:mohitanchlia@gmail.com>>
wrote:
Look at the directory permissions?

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 12:18 PM, Artem Ervits <are9004@nyp.org<mailto:are9004@nyp.org>>
wrote:
Anyone using Hadoop running on Isilon NAS? I am trying to submit a job with a user other than
the one running Hadoop and I’m getting the following error:

Exception in thread "main" java.io.IOException: Permission denied
        at java.io.UnixFileSystem.createFileExclusively(Native Method)
        at java.io.File.checkAndCreate(File.java:1717)
        at java.io.File.createTempFile0(File.java:1738)
        at java.io.File.createTempFile(File.java:1815)

Any ideas?