hadoop-user mailing list archives

From "Pamecha, Abhishek" <apame...@x.com>
Subject RE: HDFS using SAN
Date Fri, 19 Oct 2012 00:29:05 GMT
Check this out:
http://www.symantec.com/connect/articles/getting-hang-iops-v13#a12

May be this helps. I think their RAID configuration or striping is contributing to it. Just
my guess!

Thanks,
Abhishek

From: Jitendra Kumar Singh [mailto:jksingh26jun@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 18, 2012 6:49 AM
To: user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: HDFS using SAN

Hi,

In the NetApp whitepaper on SAN solution (link given by Kevin) it makes following statement.
Can someone please elaborate (or give a link that explains) how 12-disk in SAN can give 2000
IOPS while if used as JBOD would give 600 IOPS?

"The E2660 can deliver up to 2,000 IOPS
from a 12-disk stripe (the bottleneck being the 12 disks). This headroom translates into better
read times
for those 64KB blocks. Twelve copies of 12 MapReduce jobs reading from 12 SATA disks can at
best
never exceed 12 x 50 IOPS, or 600 IOPS. The E2660 volume has five times the IOPS headroom,
which
translates into faster read times and high MapReduce throughput "

Thanks and Regards,
--
Jitendra Kumar Singh

On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 6:02 PM, Luca Pireddu <pireddu@crs4.it<mailto:pireddu@crs4.it>>