hadoop-user mailing list archives

From Shing Hing Man <mat...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: How to lower the total number of map tasks
Date Tue, 02 Oct 2012 17:33:45 GMT

 I set the block size using
  Configuration.setInt("dfs.block.size",134217728);

I have also set it  in mapred-site.xml.

Shing

________________________________
 From: Chris Nauroth <cnauroth@hortonworks.com>
To: user@hadoop.apache.org; Shing Hing Man <matmsh@yahoo.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 2, 2012 6:00 PM
Subject: Re: How to lower the total number of map tasks

Those numbers make sense, considering 1 map task per block.  16 GB file / 64 MB block size
= ~242 map tasks.

When you doubled dfs.block.size, how did you accomplish that?  Typically, the block size
is selected at file write time, with a default value from system configuration used if not
specified.  Did you "hadoop fs -put" the file with the new block size, or was it something
else?

Thank you,
--Chris

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 9:34 AM, Shing Hing Man <matmsh@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I am running Hadoop 1.0.3 in Pseudo  distributed mode.
>When I  submit a map/reduce job to process a file of  size about 16 GB, in job.xml,
I have the following