Though I agree with others that it would probably be easier to get Hadoop up and running on Unix based systems, couldn't help notice that this path:

 \tmp \hadoop-upendyal\mapred\staging\upendyal-1075683580\.staging

seems to have a space in the first component i.e '\tmp ' and not '\tmp'. Is that a copy paste issue, or is it really the case. Again, not sure if it could cause the specific error you're seeing, but could try removing the space if it does exist. Also assuming that you've set up Cygwin etc. if you still want to try out on Windows.

Thanks
hemanth