hadoop-user mailing list archives

From John McPherson <jmcph...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: IBM big insights distribution
Date Thu, 20 Sep 2012 17:00:29 GMT
Just clarifying because of the reference to mainframe....

IBM BigInsights runs on clusters of x86 servers.

John

From:   Michael Segel <michael_segel@hotmail.com>
To:     user@hadoop.apache.org
Cc:     Serge.Blazhiyevskyy@nice.com
Date:   09/20/2012 05:25 AM
Subject:        Re: IBM big insights distribution

Why is it that when anyone asks a question about IBM Tom wants to take it
off line?

Not very social.

I personally find it interesting that IBM requires that their products are
tied to IBM's JVM.

I also wonder about the cost of running Hadoop on the mainframe.
(Linux LPARs while cheaper, still cost mips. ) [Forgive me, its been a
while since I spoke mainframe]

So what's the real advantage from an architecture point of view?

On Sep 19, 2012, at 6:39 PM, Tom Deutsch <tdeutsch@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> Serge - let's take this off list. Ping me directly and we'll take it
from there.

> Sent from my Blackberry so please excuse typing and spelling errors.

MAC.