hadoop-user mailing list archives

From abhishek dodda <abhishek.dod...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to remove datanode from cluster..
Date Tue, 11 Sep 2012 18:55:29 GMT
hi yogesh,

Hope this helps

To remove nodes from the cluster:
1. Add the network addresses of the nodes to be decommissioned to the
exclude file. Do not update the include file at this point.
2. Update the namenode with the new set of permitted datanodes, with
this command:
% hadoop dfsadmin -refreshNodes
3. Update the jobtracker with the new set of permitted tasktrackers using:
% hadoop mradmin -refreshNodes
4. Go to the web UI and check whether the admin state has changed to
“Decommis- sion In Progress” for the datanodes being decommissioned.
They will start copying their blocks to other datanodes in the
cluster.
5. Whenallthedatanodesreporttheirstateas“Decommissioned,”thenalltheblocks
have been replicated. Shut down the decommissioned nodes.
6. Remove the nodes from the include file, and run:
% hadoop dfsadmin -refreshNodes
% hadoop mradmin -refreshNodes
7. Remove the nodes from the slaves file.

Regards
Abhi