hadoop-user mailing list archives

From zGreenfelder <zgreenfel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: One petabyte of data loading into HDFS with in 10 min.
Date Wed, 05 Sep 2012 14:56:34 GMT
On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 10:43 AM, Cosmin Lehene <clehene@adobe.com> wrote:
> Here's an extremely naïve ballpark estimation: at theoretical hardware
> speed, for 3PB representing 1PB with 3x replication
>
> Over a single 1Gbps connection (and I'm not sure, you can actually reach
> 1Gbps)
> (3 petabytes) / (1 Gbps) = 291.271111 days
>
> So you'd need at least 40,000 1Gbps network cards to get that in 10 minutes
> :) - (3PB/1Gbps)/40000
>
> The actual number of nodes would depend a lot on the actual network
> architecture, the type of storage you use (SSD,  HDD), etc.
>
> Cosmin

ah, I went te other direction with the math, and assumed no
replication (completely unsafe and never reasonable for a real,
production environment, but since we're all theory and just looking
for starting point numbers)

1PB in 10 min ==
1,000,000gB in 10 min ==
8,000,000gb in 600 seconds ==

80,000/6  ~= 14k machines running at gigabit or about 1.5k machines if you
get 10Gb connected machines.

all assuming there's no network or cluster sync overhead
(of course there would be)

that seems like some pretty deep pockets to get to < 10 minute load
time for that much data.

I could also be off, I just threw some stuff together somewhat
quickly.between conf calls.

--
Even the Magic 8 ball has an opinion on email clients: Outlook not so good.