hadoop-user mailing list archives

From Andy Isaacson <...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: IBM big insights distribution
Date Thu, 20 Sep 2012 18:26:04 GMT
On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 5:24 AM, Michael Segel
<michael_segel@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Why is it that when anyone asks a question about IBM Tom wants to take it off line?

To be fair, most vendors tend to redirect distro-specific discussion
to non-apache.org forums. Cloudera has a cdh-user list, MapR has web
forums and a support address IIRC, Hortonworks has community forums,
et cetera. I have no problem recognizing that an apache-hosted list is
not the right place to discuss a vendor-specific problem.

If, OTOH, someone is experiencing a problem that is probably down to
core Hadoop and just happens to be using a particular distro, I think
user@hadoop is a perfectly reasonable place to discuss that, and
there's no particular need to hide the fact that a specific distro is
in use, it's not as if The Name Cannot Be Spoken or something.

> Not very social.

Different user communities have different norms for behavior, and make
different technical choices for communication medium based on that.
Seems pretty reasonable to me.  I may find some people's customs odd,
but I also recognize they probably feel the same way about me. :) If I
were Tom I'd redirect to a different public forum rather than
attempting to help each user one-on-one, but I'm not about to tell him
how to organize his life.

-andy