hadoop-user mailing list archives

From "Jones, Robert" <Robert.Jo...@asd-inc.com>
Subject Which metrics to track?
Date Mon, 10 Sep 2012 20:16:29 GMT
Hello all, I am a sysadmin and do not know that much about Hadoop.  I run a stats/metrics tracking
system that logs stats over time so you can look at historical and current data and perform
some trend analysis.  I know I can access several hadoop metrics via jmx by going to http://localhost:50070/jmx?qry=hadoop:*
and I've got a script that parses all that data so that I can stuff any of it that I want
into our stats system.

So, with all that preamble, I have one question.  Which metrics are worth tracking?  There
are a *lot* of metrics returned via the jmx query but I doubt all of them are critically important.
 Which metrics are important to track if we want to watch for any trends or spikes in our
hadoop cluster?

Please provide some education to this noob.  Thanks!

--
Bob Jones
Linux Systems/Network Engineer

****************************************************************************** This message
and any attachments are solely for the intended recipient and may contain confidential or
privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, use,
or distribution of the information included in this message and any attachments is prohibited.
If you have received this communication in error, please notify us by reply e-mail and immediately
and permanently delete this message and any attachments. Any views or opinions presented in
this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of ASD. Employees
of ASD are expressly required not to make defamatory statements and not to infringe or authorize
any infringement of copyright or any other legal right by email communications. Any such communication
is contrary to company policy and outside the scope of the employment of the individual concerned.
The company will not accept any liability in respect. ******************************************************************************