hadoop-user mailing list archives

From Michael Segel <michael_se...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: New Learner for Haddop and Hive
Date Fri, 07 Sep 2012 18:11:57 GMT
You could just wait until the new Hive book comes out.
I think its sometime this month...

On Sep 7, 2012, at 5:15 AM, "Babu, Prashanth" <Prashanth.Babu@nttdata.com> wrote:

> Ajit,
>
> Please follow the guidelines as mentioned by Bertrand.
>
> Apart from that, What is the output of
> hive> show tables;
>
> Does it display anything?
> If not, what is the message or stacktrace you see on the console?
>
> Also, post your Hadoop Environment details like what is the version of Hadoop, Hive,
etc you are using etc and also the OS info, which will help the community to understand the
issue better.

my answer but you should then reply only on the mailing list which is concerned with your
issue.
> 2) Does you hadoop installation work? If not, ask user@hadoop.apache.org
> 3) Does your hive installation work? If not, ask user@hive.apache.org
> 4) Explain your problem : " I got nothing" and no error message won't provide you any
good feedback.
> 6) Hive installation is pretty well explained in the hive wiki : https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/Home
>
> Regards
>
> Bertrand
>
> On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 11:14 AM, Ajit Kumar Shreevastava <Ajit.Shreevastava@hcl.com>
wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am new for Hive and Hadoop Technology. Can anyone tell me in detail “ The process
for setting Hadoop and Hive to start and work”. I have visited lots of site and do the configuration
according to that.
> Now I want run Hive after starting all the services of hadoop,  I got nothing.
>
> Ajit.Shreevastava@hclt-40124697 ~
> $ start-all.sh
> starting namenode, logging to /usr/local/hadoop/bin/../logs/hadoop-MYHADOOP-namenode-hclt-40124697.out
> localhost: starting datanode, logging to /usr/local/hadoop/bin/../logs/hadoop-MYHADOOP-datanode-hclt-40124697.out
> localhost: starting secondarynamenode, logging to /usr/local/hadoop/bin/../logs/hadoop-MYHADOOP-secondarynamenode-hclt-40124697.out
> starting jobtracker, logging to /usr/local/hadoop/bin/../logs/hadoop-MYHADOOP-jobtracker-hclt-40124697.out
> localhost: starting tasktracker, logging to /usr/local/hadoop/bin/../logs/hadoop-MYHADOOP-tasktracker-hclt-40124697.out
>
> Ajit.Shreevastava@hclt-40124697 ~
> $ hive
> Logging initialized using configuration in jar:file:/C:/cygwin/usr/local/hadoop/hive/lib/hive-common-0.8.1.jar!/hive-log4j.properties
> Hive history file=/tmp/ajit.shreevastava/hive_job_log_ajit.shreevastava_201209051440_1301558122.txt
> hive> show tables;
>
> I am also sending you my configuration files of Hive conf directory.
>
> Please help me.
>
> Regards,
> Ajit Kumar Shreevastava
>

> ::DISCLAIMER::
named recipient(s) only.
> E-mail transmission is not guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could
be intercepted, corrupted,
> lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or may contain viruses in transmission. The
e mail and its contents
> (with or without referred errors) shall therefore not attach any liability on the originator
or HCL or its affiliates.
> Views or opinions, if any, presented in this email are solely those of the author and
may not necessarily reflect the
> views or opinions of HCL or its affiliates. Any form of reproduction, dissemination,
copying, disclosure, modification,
> distribution and / or publication of this message without the prior written consent of
authorized representative of
> HCL is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error please delete it
and notify the sender immediately.
> Before opening any email and/or attachments, please check them for viruses and other
defects.

> --
> Bertrand Dechoux

> Disclaimer:This email and any attachments are sent in strictest confidence for the sole
use of the addressee and may contain legally privileged, confidential, and proprietary data.
If you are not the intended recipient, please advise the sender by replying promptly to this
email and then delete and destroy this email and any attachments without any further use,
copying or forwarding