hadoop-user mailing list archives

From Michael Segel <michael_se...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: IBM big insights distribution
Date Tue, 25 Sep 2012 18:30:35 GMT
I was looking at it from outside of the support issue, but from an industry related topic.

I mean, lets talk about Solaris support. I believe that its still there in the Apache release
while none of the commercial distros support it.

To your point, I can see how it could confuse some people...

On Sep 24, 2012, at 5:58 PM, Arun C Murthy <acm@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> On Sep 20, 2012, at 11:26 AM, Andy Isaacson wrote:
>
>> If, OTOH, someone is experiencing a problem that is probably down to
>> core Hadoop and just happens to be using a particular distro, I think
>> user@hadoop is a perfectly reasonable place to discuss that, and
>> there's no particular need to hide the fact that a specific distro is
>> in use, it's not as if The Name Cannot Be Spoken or something.
>
> That has it's own shades of gray - different vendors may choose to include different
patch-sets in their distro, even for 'core Hadoop'.

> In such cases, you get issues/bug-reports which are, at best, confusing to users of Apache
Hadoop... etc.

> As Andrew mentioned, it seems simpler to keep things on Apache lists limited to Apache
Hadoop.