hadoop-user mailing list archives

From Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vino...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: build failure - trying to build hadoop trunk checkout
Date Mon, 10 Sep 2012 17:43:03 GMT

On Sep 10, 2012, at 2:43 AM, Tony Burton wrote:

> (Seems a bit hacky though – can someone explain using easy words why this happens in
Kerberos?)

As part of authenticating and generating tokens for clients, Kerberos needs, besides many
other things, the hostname of the client. They must resolve to the same hostname on the client
and server by their corresponding DNS. And by convention, hostnames are case insensitive.
What we observed is that the Kerberos client and server disagree when it comes to hostnames
with upper case alphabet.

HTH
Thanks,
+Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli