hadoop-user mailing list archives

From Arun C Murthy <...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: IBM big insights distribution
Date Mon, 24 Sep 2012 22:58:12 GMT

On Sep 20, 2012, at 11:26 AM, Andy Isaacson wrote:

> If, OTOH, someone is experiencing a problem that is probably down to
> core Hadoop and just happens to be using a particular distro, I think
> user@hadoop is a perfectly reasonable place to discuss that, and
> there's no particular need to hide the fact that a specific distro is
> in use, it's not as if The Name Cannot Be Spoken or something.

That has it's own shades of gray - different vendors may choose to include different patch-sets
in their distro, even for 'core Hadoop'.

In such cases, you get issues/bug-reports which are, at best, confusing to users of Apache
Hadoop... etc.

As Andrew mentioned, it seems simpler to keep things on Apache lists limited to Apache Hadoop.

Arun