hadoop-user mailing list archives

From Keith Wiley <kwi...@keithwiley.com>
Subject Re: could only be replicated to 0 nodes, instead of 1
Date Wed, 05 Sep 2012 03:41:19 GMT
Good to know.  The bottom line is I was really short-roping everything on resources.  I just
need to jack the machine up some.

Thanks.

On Sep 4, 2012, at 19:41 , Harsh J wrote:

> Keith,
>
> The NameNode has a resource-checker thread in it by design to help
> prevent cases of on-disk metadata corruption in event of filled up
> dfs.namenode.name.dir disks, etc.. By default, an NN will lock itself
> up if the free disk space (among its configured metadata mounts)
> reaches a value < 100 MB, controlled by
> dfs.namenode.resource.du.reserved. You can probably set that to 0 if
> you do not want such an automatic preventive measure. Its not exactly
> a need, just a check to help avoid accidental data loss due to
> non-monitoring of disk space.
>
> On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 11:33 PM, Keith Wiley <kwiley@keithwiley.com> wrote:
>> I had moved the data directory to the larger disk but left the namenode directory
on the smaller disk figuring it didn't need much room.  Moving that to the larger disk seems
to have improved the situation...although I'm still surprised the NN needed so much room.

>> Problem is solved for now.
>>

>> Thanks.
>> ________________________________________________________________________________
>> Keith Wiley     kwiley@keithwiley.com     keithwiley.com    music.keithwiley.com
>>
>> "I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was.  Now, what I'm with
>> isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me."
>>                                           --  Abe (Grandpa) Simpson
>>

> --
> Harsh J

"You can scratch an itch, but you can't itch a scratch. Furthermore, an itch can
itch but a scratch can't scratch. Finally, a scratch can itch, but an itch can't
scratch. All together this implies: He scratched the itch from the scratch that
itched but would never itch the scratch from the itch that scratched."
                                           --  Keith Wiley