hadoop-user mailing list archives

From Kunaal <kunaalbha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Issue in access static object in MapReduce
Date Wed, 12 Sep 2012 04:49:25 GMT
Have you looked at Terracotta or any other distributed caching system?

Kunal
-- Sent while mobile --

On Sep 11, 2012, at 9:30 PM, Stuti Awasthi <stutiawasthi@hcl.com> wrote:

> Thanks Bejoy,
> I try to implement and if face any issues will let you know.
>
> Thanks
> Stuti

this static json object on the configure() method. Every instance of map or reduce task will
have this configure() method executed once before the map()/reduce() function . So all the
executions of map()/reduce() on each record can have a look up into the json object.

> public void configure(JobConf job)
>
> Regards
> Bejoy KS
>
> On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 8:23 PM, Stuti Awasthi <stutiawasthi@hcl.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I have a configuration JSON file which is accessed by MR job for every input.So , I created
a class with a static block, load the JSON file in static Instance variable.

> So everytime my mapper or reducer wants to access configuration can use this Instance
variable. But on a single node cluster,when I run this as a jar, my mapper is executing fine,

> But in reducer static Instance variable is retuning "null".
>

> I get this mainly because mapper and reducer runs on separate jvms. How can I handle
this situation gracefully. There are few ways that I can think of:

> 1.  Serialize the JSON load object and store it on HDFS and then deserialize and use
in the code. Problem is obj is not too large so not be useful to store on HDFS

> 2. I load the JSON for every Input line of map reduce call. This is highly inefficient
and  as Il be loading JSON for so many lines again and again.

> How to resolve this issue.. Any Inputs  are welcome.
>

> Note , same code works with eclipse well. :(
>

> Thanks
>
> Stuti
>

> Regards,
> Stuti Awasthi
> HCL Comnet Systems and Services Ltd
>

> ::DISCLAIMER::
named recipient(s) only.
> E-mail transmission is not guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could
be intercepted, corrupted,
> lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or may contain viruses in transmission. The
e mail and its contents
> (with or without referred errors) shall therefore not attach any liability on the originator
or HCL or its affiliates.
> Views or opinions, if any, presented in this email are solely those of the author and
may not necessarily reflect the
> views or opinions of HCL or its affiliates. Any form of reproduction, dissemination,
copying, disclosure, modification,
> distribution and / or publication of this message without the prior written consent of
authorized representative of
> HCL is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error please delete it
and notify the sender immediately.