hadoop-user mailing list archives

From Elaine Gan <elaine-...@gmo.jp>
Subject Is mahout kmeans slow ?
Date Thu, 13 Sep 2012 02:24:45 GMT
Hi,

I'm trying to do some text analysis using mahout kmeans (clustering),
processing the data on hadoop.
--numClusters = 160
--maxIter (-x) maxIter = 200

Well my data is small, around 500MB .
I have 4 servers, each with 4CPU and TaskTrackers are set to 4 as
maximum.
When i run the mahout task, i can see that the number of map tasks are
the most 3, so i guess i do not need to do any tuning on this at this
moment.

One iteration took around 1.5mins ~ 2mins to finish.
I am not sure whether this is normal or is it consider slow, can anyone
gives me an advice on this?

And with x = 200, it tooks me around 200x2mins = 6 hours
to finish the whole analysis..
Is it something which is unavoided?
The bigger the "x" is, the longer time it takes to finish the kmeans job?

Any ways to improve on the mahout kmeans to speed it up?

Thank you.