Adding to Gaurav’s sentiment - using object stores with Erasure code is pretty good solution when the data starts creeping into the PB scale with a need for redundancy.

Look at Amplidata solutions, they seem to have good stack.

Regards,

-C

From: Gaurav Sharma [mailto:gaurav.gs.sharma@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2012 10:25 AM
To: user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: is HDFS RAID "data locality" efficient?

Indeed, erasure encoding is a component of a good storage solution esp. for holding on to PB scale datasets but there's an associated cost in terms of latency for real time serving. Depending on the domain (eg. where temporal locality is observed in access patterns), it works well if the hot dataset is small and can be served efficiently from elsewhere. It is a great fit for DW type workloads. Fb had a good presentation sometime back where they discussed a typical impl with Reed Solomon codes et al.