hadoop-user mailing list archives

From igor Finkelshteyn <iefin...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Hadoop on EC2 Managing Internal/External IPs
Date Fri, 24 Aug 2012 03:09:32 GMT
That would work, but wouldn't a much simpler solution just be to force the machines in the
cluster to always pass around their external FQDNs, since those will properly resolve to the
internal or external IP depending on what machine is asking? Is there no way to just do that?

On Aug 23, 2012, at 8:02 PM, Aaron Eng wrote:

> Hi Igor,
>
> Amazon offers a service where you can have a VPN gateway on your network that leads directly
back to the network where youre instances are at.  So that 10.123.x.x subnet would be connected
off of the VPN gateway on your network and you'd set up your routers/routing to push traffic
for that subnet at the gateway.

> On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 12:34 PM, igor Finkelshteyn <iefinkel@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm currently setting up a Hadoop cluster on EC2, and everything works just fine when
accessing the cluster from inside EC2, but as soon as I try to do something like upload a
file from an external client, I get timeout errors like:

> 12/08/23 12:06:16 ERROR hdfs.DFSClient: Failed to close file /user/some_file._COPYING_
> java.net.SocketTimeoutException: 65000 millis timeout while waiting for channel to be
ready for connect. ch : java.nio.channels.SocketChannel[connection-pending remote=/10.123.x.x:50010]

> What's clearly happening is my NameNode is resolving my DataNode's IPs to their internal
EC2 values instead of their external values, and then sending along the internal IP to my
external client, which is obviously unable to reach those. I'm thinking this must be a common
problem. How do other people deal with it? Is there a way to just force my name node to send
along my DataNode's hostname instead of IP, so that the hostname can be resolved properly
from whatever box will be sending files?