hadoop-user mailing list archives

From Chris Smith <csmi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Hadoop and MainFrame integration
Date Wed, 29 Aug 2012 10:37:56 GMT
Siddharth,

I don't know if you've already found this video but here's Phillip Shelley
(Sears CTO) talking about Sears experience with Hadoop and their mainframe:
http://youtu.be/8Rztad665po

They use 'ftp' to move data to and from Hadoop, which is a bottleneck, but
they gained so many 'spare' MIPS and reduced the processing time
significantly that the MIPS burnt in the ftp probably fade ino
insignificance.

BTW, according to the talk their COBOL programmers found Pig as a good tool
to re-engineer some of their existing COBOL jobs.

It may not be a solution to your problem but it should give you some
confidence in using Hadoop to support the mainframe.

Regards,

Chris

On 29 August 2012 03:14, Artem Ervits <are9004@nyp.org> wrote:

>  Can you read the data off backup tapes and dump it to flat files?
>

> Artem Ervits
> Data Analyst
> New York Presbyterian Hospital

may contain information that is confidential or privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient,