hadoop-user mailing list archives

From Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vino...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Questions with regard to scheduling of map and reduce tasks
Date Fri, 31 Aug 2012 03:51:06 GMT

> 0.23.1 with Pig 0.10.0 on top.

Ok.

> How is the preemption suppose to work? Is a single reducer suppose to
> be preempted or will a batch of reducers be preempted.

A batch of reducers. Enough reducers will be killed to accommodate any/all pending map-tasks.

> Also, when you
> say preemption, do you mean that the current execution of a reducer is
> actually paused and resumed again later. Or, does preemption mean that
> the reducer's container is discarded and must be started again from
> scratch?

No, by preempted, I mean that the current reduce tasks are killed. And because MapReduce tolerates
arbitrary number of killed task-attempts (as opposed to failed task-attempts), this is okay.
So yes, the reducers when they get rescheduled will start all-over again.

> Do you know of any doc on the specifics of task scheduling? Would you
> say that the example I gave is in line with how scheduling is
> intended?

We don't have docs on task-level scheduling, but you can look at RMContainerAllocator.java
and related classes in MRAppMaster (i.e. hadoop-mapreduce-client-app/ module) for understanding
this.

And no, like I mentioned before scheduling isn't random, but maps first, and a slow reduce
ramp-up as reducers finish.

> FYI: the starvation issue is a known bug (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAPREDUCE-4299).

Mistook that you were using capacity-scheduler. There were other such bugs in both the Fifo
and capacity-schedulers which got fixed (not sure of fixed-version). We've tested Capacity-scheduler
a lot more if you pick up the latest version - 0.23.2/branch-0.23

HTH

+Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli
Hortonworks Inc.
http://hortonworks.com/