hadoop-user mailing list archives

From Evert Lammerts <Evert.Lamme...@sara.nl>
Subject Pending reducers
Date Tue, 14 Aug 2012 10:39:33 GMT
Hi list,

I have a cluster running Hadoop 0.20.205 with Kerberos enabled, exposing 528 map slots and
528 reduce slots. Currently somebody is running a NORMAL priority job with 7 mappers and 400
reducers. The mappers have finished and the system is processing the reducers. Another user
is running a NORMAL priority job with 1 mapper and 26 reducers. The mapper has finished, but
the reducers won't come out of "pending" state. There are no other jobs running right now.
We've not yet installed a different scheduler, so right now the system is using the default
scheduler. How can this behavior be explained? I see mappers of multiple jobs run concurrently,
and I *thought* I've seen reducers of multiple jobs run concurrently, but I'm not completely
sure. Any idea?

Evert