hadoop-user mailing list archives

From "Artem Ervits" <are9...@nyp.org>
Subject Re: Hadoop and MainFrame integration
Date Wed, 29 Aug 2012 02:14:25 GMT
Can you read the data off backup tapes and dump it to flat files?

Artem Ervits
Data Analyst
New York Presbyterian Hospital

From: Marcos Ortiz [mailto:mlortiz@uci.cu]
Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 06:51 PM
To: user@hadoop.apache.org <user@hadoop.apache.org>
Cc: Siddharth Tiwari <siddharth.tiwari@live.com>
Subject: Re: Hadoop and MainFrame integration

The problem with it, is that Hadoop depends on top of HDFS to storage in blocks of 64/128
MB of size (or the size that you determine, 64 MB is the de-facto size), and then make the
calculations.
So, you need to move all your data to a HDFS cluster to use data in MapReduce jobs if you
want to make the calculations with Hadoop.
Best wishes