hadoop-user mailing list archives

From Tony Burton <TBur...@SportingIndex.com>
Subject RE: hadoop 1.0.3 equivalent of MultipleTextOutputFormat
Date Wed, 29 Aug 2012 10:38:03 GMT
Thanks Harsh! Will try it out and report back later.

-----Original Message-----
From: Harsh J [mailto:harsh@cloudera.com]
Sent: 29 August 2012 11:12
To: user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: hadoop 1.0.3 equivalent of MultipleTextOutputFormat

Hi Tony,

Seeing your new question, I recalled Tom's post to a user once, here:
https://groups.google.com/a/cloudera.org/d/msg/cdh-user/pdyVyydt5Ys/1CaLukt4v1AJ

This specific call allows you to specify / characters in your name,
that gets translated into creation of directories automatically:
http://hadoop.apache.org/common/docs/stable/api/org/apache/hadoop/mapreduce/lib/output/MultipleOutputs.html#write(KEYOUT,%20VALUEOUT,%20java.lang.String)
(The last argument is where you will need to specify the path)

Try it out and let us know!

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 7:06 PM, Tony Burton <TBurton@sportingindex.com> wrote:
> Hi Harsh
>
> Thanks for the reply - my understanding is that with MultipleOutputs I can write differently
named files into the same target directory. With MultipleTextOutputFormat I was able to override
the target directory name to perform the segmentation, by overriding generateFileNameForKeyValue().

> Does the 1.0.3 MultipleOutputs give me the ability to alter the target directory name
as well as the file name?

> Thanks,
>
> Tony

writing results into (for example) different directories created on the fly. However, now
I'm implementing a MapReduce job using Hadoop 1.0.3, I see that the new API no longer supports
MultipleTextOutputFormat. Is there an equivalent that I can use, or will it be supported in
a future release?

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Tony

>> This email and any attachments are confidential, protected by copyright and may be
legally privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient, then the dissemination or copying
of this email is prohibited. If you have received this in error, please notify the sender
by replying by email and then delete the email completely from your system.  Neither Sporting
Index nor the sender accepts responsibility for any virus, or any other defect which might
affect any computer or IT system into which the email is received and/or opened.  It is the
responsibility of the recipient to scan the email and no responsibility is accepted for any
loss or damage arising in any way from receipt or use of this email.  Sporting Index Ltd is
a company registered in England and Wales with company number 2636842, whose registered office
is at Gateway House, Milverton Street, London, SE11 4AP.  Sporting Index Ltd is authorised
and regulated by the UK Financial Services Authority (reg. no. 150404) and Gambling Commission
(reg. no. 000-027343-R-308898-001).  Any financial promotion contained herein has been issued