hadoop-user mailing list archives

From John Armstrong <j...@ccri.com>
Subject HDFS group permissions
Date Thu, 09 Aug 2012 11:55:41 GMT
I'm having some trouble with permissions on HDFS.  I'm trying to create a file in a directory
where
the user belongs to a group that has write permissions, but it doesn't seem to be working.

First, the directory:

myuser$ hadoop fs -ls /path/to/parent/
drwxrwxr-x   - hdfs myhdfsgroup          0 2012-08-09 07:34 /path/to/parent/directory

so mygroup has all permissions on /path/to/parent/directory.  Next I check:

myuser$ groups
myuser [...] myhdfsgroup

so myuser is a member of myhdfsgroup.  I should be able to put a file into this directory,
no?

myuser$ hadoop fs -put testFile.txt /path/to/parent/directory/testfile.txt
put: org.apache.hadoop.security.AccessControlException: Permission denied: user=myuser,
access=WRITE, inode="directory":hdfs:myhdfsgroup:rwxrwxr-x

I don't even see a mention of the group in this exception message.  Do group permissions just
not
work?  And if not, why are they included in the documentation?

In case it matters, I'm using Hadoop 0.20.2 plus some patches.

tia