hadoop-user mailing list archives

From Arun C Murthy <...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Hadoop hardware failure recovery
Date Sun, 12 Aug 2012 19:07:05 GMT
Yep, hadoop-2 is alpha but is progressing nicely...

However, if you have access to some 'enterprise HA' utilities (VMWare or Linux HA) you can
get *very decent* production-grade high-availability in hadoop-1.x too (both NameNode for
HDFS and JobTracker for MapReduce).

Arun

On Aug 10, 2012, at 12:12 PM, anil gupta wrote:

> Hi Aji,
>
> Adding onto whatever Mohammad Tariq said, If you use Hadoop 2.0.0-Alpha then Namenode
is not a single point of failure.However, Hadoop 2.0.0 is not of production quality yet(its
in Alpha).
> Namenode use to be a Single Point of Failure in releases prior to Hadoop 2.0.0.
>
> HTH,
> Anil Gupta
>
> On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 11:55 AM, Ted Dunning <tdunning@maprtech.com> wrote:
> Hadoop's file system was (mostly) copied from the concepts of Google's old file system.
>
> The original paper is probably the best way to learn about that.
>
> http://research.google.com/archive/gfs.html
>

> On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 11:38 AM, Aji Janis <aji1705@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am very new to Hadoop. I am considering setting up a Hadoop cluster consisting of 5
nodes where each node has 3 internal hard drives. I understand HDFS has a configurable redundancy
feature but what happens if an entire drive crashes (physically) for whatever reason? How
does Hadoop recover, if it can, from this situation? What else should I know before setting
up my cluster this way? Thanks in advance.

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.