hadoop-pig-dev mailing list archives

From Dmitriy Ryaboy <dvrya...@gmail.com>
Subject Caster interface and byte conversion
Date Sun, 22 Aug 2010 00:22:36 GMT
I just noticed that even though Utf8StorageConverter implements the various
byte[] toBytes(Obj o) methods, they are not part of the LoadCaster interface
-- and therefore can't be relied on when using modular Casters, like I am
trying to do for the HBaseLoader.

Since we don't want to introduce backwards-incompatible changes, I propose
adding a ByteCaster interface that defines these methods, and extending
Utf8StorageConverter to implement them (without actually changing the
implementation at all).
That way StoreFuncs that need to convert to bytes can use pluggable
converters. Objections?

-D