hadoop-pig-dev mailing list archives

From Alan Gates <ga...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: Caster interface and byte conversion
Date Tue, 24 Aug 2010 17:01:05 GMT
One other comment.  By making this part of an interface that extends
LoadCaster you are assuming the implementing class is both a load and
store function.  It makes more sense to have a separate StoreCaster
interface rather than extending LoadCaster.

Alan.

On Aug 24, 2010, at 9:18 AM, Alan Gates wrote:

> This seems fine.  Is the Pig engine at any point testing to see if the
> interface is implemented and if so calling toBytes, or is this totally
> for use inside the store functions themselves to serialize Pig data
> types?
>
> Alan.
>
> On Aug 22, 2010, at 1:40 AM, Dmitriy Ryaboy wrote:
>
>> The current HBase patch on PIG-1205 (patch 7) includes this
>> refactoring.
>> Please take a look if you have concerns.
>>
>> Or just if you feel like reviewing the code... :)
>>
>> -D
>>
>> On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 5:22 PM, Dmitriy Ryaboy <dvryaboy@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I just noticed that even though Utf8StorageConverter implements the
>>> various
>>> byte[] toBytes(Obj o) methods, they are not part of the LoadCaster