hadoop-pig-dev mailing list archives

From Alan Gates <ga...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Announcing Howl development list
Date Tue, 20 Jul 2010 17:03:46 GMT

On Jul 14, 2010, at 2:11 AM, Jeff Hammerbacher wrote:

> Hey,
>
> Thanks for writing up these notes, they're very useful.
>
> Pradeep Kamath gave a short presentation on Howl, the work he is
> leading to
>> create a shared metadata system between Pig, Hive, and Map Reduce.
>> Dmitriy
>> noted that we need to get this work more in the open so others can
>> participate and contribute.
>>

> Is there a public JIRA where one could follow this work? Any chance
> we can
> break it up into incremental milestones rather than have a single
> code drop
> as with previous large features in Pig? I understand it may be
> difficult to
> coordinate internal development with external user groups, but I
> hope the
> feedback from third parties might make such a process worthwhile.

A wiki page outlining Howl is at http://wiki.apache.org/pig/Howl

A howldev mailing list has been set up on Yahoo! groups for
discussions on Howl.  You can subscribe by sending mail to howldev-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

.  We plan on putting the code on github in a read only repository.
It will be a few more days before we get there.  It will be announced
on the list when it is.

Alan.