hadoop-pig-dev mailing list archives

From Alan Gates <ga...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: Consider cleaning up backend code
Date Thu, 22 Apr 2010 23:45:57 GMT
A couple of years ago we had this concept that Pig as is should be
able to run on other backends (like say Dryad if it were open
source).  So we built this whole backend interface and (mostly) kept
Hadoop specific objects out of the front end.

Recently we have modified that stand and said that this implementation
of Pig is Hadoop specific.  Pig Latin itself will still stay Hadoop
independent.  So the ability to have multiple backends is fine.  But
the ability to have non-Hadoop backends is not really interesting now.

So I at least see the proposal here as getting rid of generic code
that tries to hide the fact that we are working on top of Hadoop
(things like DataStorage and ExecutionEngine).

Alan.