hadoop-pig-dev mailing list archives

From Dmitriy Ryaboy <dvrya...@gmail.com>
Subject Private variables are not eco-friendly
Date Wed, 03 Feb 2010 03:34:36 GMT
Hi all,
I keep running into problems trying to extend Pig due to variables
being declared private. The latest time around it was in PigSlice --
one can't inherit it and do much meaningful overriding of methods
because the input streams are private rather than protected, so I
can't change how it gets created. I wound up having to copy+paste the
class wholesale, which is unfortunate. I know the Slice/Slicer
interfaces are going away, but as a general rule -- can we be mindful
of folks trying to extend classes, and make inner members protected,
rather than private or package?

Thanks
-Dmitriy