hadoop-pig-dev mailing list archives

From Mridul Muralidharan <mrid...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: optimizer hints in Pig
Date Sat, 14 Nov 2009 23:17:29 GMT

This should be interesting to pursue.
For non-trivial plans, it can be used to model how join's are to be
optimized for example - instead of having users specify it, infer based
on the hints from various stages.
Similarly, an oft-repeated request is making pig infer the value of
PARALLEL - which can also be influenced by this :

a-> load, filter1, project
b-> load, filter2, project, filter3.
join a, b.

Now we can estimate 'sizes' of a and b based on input and arrive at
things like : reducers to be used for a, b ; what kind of joint to use
(traditional, fragment replicate, etc), and so on.

This should be interesting if it scales to slightly more complex scripts.

The example generator gets into some basic aspects of this iirc - though
not from a costing function point of view (atleast I remember discussing
it with Shubham).

Regards,
Mridul