hadoop-pig-dev mailing list archives

From Arun C Murthy <...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: Proposal to create a branch for contrib project Zebra
Date Tue, 18 Aug 2009 01:18:13 GMT

On Aug 17, 2009, at 4:38 PM, Santhosh Srinivasan wrote:

> Is there any precedence for such proposals? I am not comfortable with
> extending committer access to contrib teams. I would suggest that
> Zebra
> be made a sub-project of Hadoop and have a life of its own.

There has been sufficient precedence for 'contrib committers' in
Hadoop (e.g. Chukwa vis-a-vis the former 'Hadoop Core' sub-project)
and is normal within the Apache world for committers with specific
'roles' e.g specific Contrib modules, QA, Release/Build etc. (http://hadoop.apache.org/common/credits.html

  - in fact, Giridharan Kesavan is an unlisted 'release' committer for
Apache Hadoop)

I believe it's a desired, nay stated,  goal for Zebra to graduate as a
Hadoop sub-project eventually, based on which it was voted-in as a
contrib module by the Apache Pig.

Given these, I don't see  any cause for concern here.

Arun