hadoop-pig-dev mailing list archives

From Alan Gates <ga...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: asking for comments on benchmark queries
Date Tue, 23 Jun 2009 17:31:42 GMT
Zheng,

I don't think you're subscribed to pig-dev (your emails have been
bouncing to the moderator).  So I've cc'd you explicitly on this.

I don't think we need a Pig JIRA, it's probably easier if we all work
on the hive one.  I'll post my comments on the various scripts to that
bug.  I've also attached them here since pig-dev won't see the updates
to that bug.

Alan.

grep_select.pig:

Adding types in the LOAD statement will force Pig to cast the key
field, even though it doesn't need to (it only reads and writes the
key field).  So I'd change the query to be:

rmf output/PIG_bench/grep_select;
a = load '/data/grep/*' using PigStorage as (key,field);
b = filter a by field matches '.*XYZ.*';
store b into 'output/PIG_bench/grep_select';

field will still be cast to a chararray for the matches, but we won't
waste time casting key and then turning it back into bytes for the
store.

rankings_select.pig:

Same comment, remove the casts.  pagerank will be properly cast to an
integer.

rmf output/PIG_bench/rankings_select;
a = load '/data/rankings/*' using PigStorage('|') as
(pagerank,pageurl,aveduration);
b = filter a by pagerank > 10;
store b into 'output/PIG_bench/rankings_select';

rankings_uservisits_join.pig:

Here you want to keep the casts of pagerank so that it is handled as
the right type.  adRevenue will default to double in SUM when you
don't specify a type.  You also want to project out all unneeded
columns as soon as possible.  You should set PARALLEL on the join to
use the number of reducers appropriate for your cluster.  Given that
you have 10 machines and 5 reduce slots per machine, and speculative
execution is off you probably want 50 reducers.  I notice you set
parallel to 60 on the group by.  That will give you 10 trailing
reducers.  Unless you have a need for the result to be split 60 ways
you should reduce that to 50 as well.  (I'm assuming here when you say
you have a 10 node cluster you mean 10 data nodes, not counting your
name node and task tracker.  The reduce formula should be 5 * number
of data nodes.)

A last question is how large are the uservisits and rankings data
sets?  If either is < 80M or so you can use the fragment/replicate
join, which is much faster than the general join.  The following
script assumes that isn't the case; but if it is let me know and I can
show you the syntax for it.

So the end query looks like:

rmf output/PIG_bench/html_join;
a = load '/data/uservisits/*' using PigStorage('|') as

(sourceIP
,destURL
,visitDate
,adRevenue,userAgent,countryCode,languageCode:,searchWord,duration);
b = load '/data/rankings/*' using PigStorage('|') as
(pagerank:int,pageurl,aveduration);
c = filter a by visitDate > '1999-01-01' AND visitDate < '2000-01-01';
c1 = fjjkkoreach c generate sourceIP, destURL, addRevenue;
b1 = foreach b generate pagerank, pageurl;
d = JOIN c1 by destURL, b1 by pageurl parallel 50;
d1 = foreach d generate sourceIP, pagerank, adRevenue;
e = group d1 by sourceIP parallel 50;
f = FOREACH e GENERATE group, AVG(d1.pagerank), SUM(d1.adRevenue);
store f into 'output/PIG_bench/html_join';

uservisists_agrre.pig:

Same comments as above on projecting out as early as possible and on
setting parallel appropriately for your cluster.

rmf output/PIG_bench/uservisits_aggre;
a = load '/data/uservisits/*' using PigStorage('|') as

(sourceIP
,destURL
,visitDate
,adRevenue,userAgent,countryCode,languageCode,searchWord,duration);
a1 = foreach a generate sourceIP, adRevenue;
b = group a by sourceIP parallel 50;
c = FOREACH b GENERATE group, SUM(a. adRevenue);
store c into 'output/PIG_bench/uservisits_aggre';